Meet Your Microbiome…
By Dr. Rachel Eva Dew, DNM
What the heck is the MICROBIOME anyway & why is microbiome health and balance important?
Think of your microbiome as an entire eco system, or community of microorganisms (good and bad) in your body. Your gut microbiome is not the only microbiome systems in the body, your skin is also a microbiome system too! It is estimated that people are ratio to inhabited by even more non- human cells as human cells. According to NIH, ‘The human body contains trillions of microorganisms — outnumbering human cells by 10 to 1. Because of their small size, however, microorganisms make up only about 1 to 3 percent of the body’s mass (in a 200-pound adult, that’s 2 to 6 pounds of bacteria), but play a vital role in human health’. When all of these elements combine, they form your microbiomes unique chemistry.
I am a plant lover, but sometimes I have a hard time keeping certain plants in my home alive and thriving. All of my plants have slightly different needs and preferences for light, water, soil their environment (the pots they are in) and fertilizer. In fact, it seems that as soon as I learn the magical combination that works for a plant to be its healthiest, the season will change, and I have to learn the new combination for that season. Guess what, our microbiomes and their health are exactly the same!!
Finding the exact right balance for optimizing your microbiome (both gut and skin) is a process and the needs and care will be unique to you. However, there are some things that help ALL microbiomes begin to move towards more balance. These are things like diet, exercise, mindfulness, stress reduction, proper hydration, rebalancing the microbiome and taking herbal supplements, probiotics and prebiotics.
Often you will have to source numerous high-quality supplements in order to address rebalancing the microbiome. Often, I have recommended up to 10 different supplements to patients working on balancing their microbiome. This is one of the reasons I love Nupeutics Microbiome Master… it has all of these ingredients in one high quality supplement.
Nupeutics uses some of the most powerful ingredients to support total gut health and rebalance the microbiome. Nupeutics Microbiome Master’s supportive ingredients for microbiome health are –
- Black Walnut Hull is a powerful herb that has been used medicinally for thousands of years and is especially useful in digestive and parasitic instances. It is a potent antibacterial and anti-fungal and is capable of killing the adult stage of most parasitic worms. It has been used to treat intestinal issues, snake bites, wound care as an antiseptic, ulcers, wart treatment (herpes virus), cold sores, athlete’s foot and Candida.
- Oregano Leaf contains high amounts of antioxidants that help to fight free radical damage and has antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties. Because of this it is greatly effective at reducing inflammation in conditions like colitis. Studies have found oregano oil to be as effective in germ killing properties as prescription antibiotics.
- Reishi Mushroom is a staple in eastern medicine with several immune boosting capabilities and cancer killing properties. It also has even shown to have adaptogenic properties that can reduce stress, fatigue and improve sleep.
- Pau D’arco Bark is a South American herb used for decades. It has two chemicals – lapchol and beta-lapchone that are shown to kill bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites. Also boasting anti-inflammatory properties that may be effective against diseases like osteoarthritis. Pau D’arco is used to help treat Candida, herpes, influenza, parasites, bacteria infections and cancer.
- Uva Ursi is a small shrub and is most commonly known for its effectiveness to fight and prevent Urinary Tract Infections. (caution should be used when considering long term use). Uva Ursi also contains allatoin which provides a soothing effect to the gut and urinary tract.
- Echinacea is a powerful herb that can stimulate the cells of your immune system and assist in eliminating disease-causing parasites. We all know echinacea is amazing to boost our immune systems and help stave off illness when we feel the sniffles coming on.
- Wormwood is one of the most potent parasite killers around. This is how the tree protects itself from fungi by using wormwood in its bark. It is used in various digestive issues such as upset stomach, gallbladder disease, intestinal spasms. It can also be used to help reduce fever, liver disease, depression, muscle pain, and to treat worm (parasite) infections.
- Cinnamon bark is an anti-parasitic and warming spice used to ward off unwanted guests. Cinnamon bark is also loaded with antioxidants and works to combat inflammation.
- Allicin Garlic has been used for centuries for its ability to kill bacteria, viruses and fungus. It is a potent herb in gut cleansing.
Keep your eyes out for more on gut health!